Volume 2

During the month of August we are sharing summer reading lists, experiences, and suggestions from the IHR community. If you’d like to share your own, please Tweet (X) us @ihr_history.

Eve Hayes De Kalaf

The three books I am currently reading are:

Eve is a Research Fellow on the AHRC-funded project The Windrush Scandal in a Transnational and Commonwealth Context based in History and Policy at the IHR.

Rebecca Read

I’ve been reading Traitor King – The Scandalous Exile of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor by Andrew Lownie.

It’s a compelling read. The full extent of their collusion with Nazi Germany is shocking; there’s no doubt that the Duke of Windsor would have been found guilty of treason.  Equally as shocking to me are the interventions by the royal family to keep the evidence out of the public domain. The book is full of domestic detail, and some scurrilous gossip too. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor emerge as utterly appalling, selfish and entitled in every possible way. I found it enraging and enjoyable in equal measure.

Rebecca is the IHR Administrative and Project Support Officer.

Jonathan Sumption, Lord Sumption

Why? Having finished the final volume of my history of the Hundred Years War, I am looking for another subject in the next century.

Jonathan is a Senior Fellow of the IHR.

Tassos Tyflopoulos

I have been reading a book that we also have in the library.

Writings from the Sand: Collected Works of Isabelle Eberhardt by Isabelle Eberhardt, Volume 1 and 2, translated by Karen Melissa Marcus. Eberhardt is a very diverse author. Multieverything in so many respects.

Tassos is a part-time library assistant at the IHR Wohl Library.