As a digital publications intern at the Institute of Historical Research for the summer, I was given the opportunity to work on several exciting and diverse projects, many of them pertaining to the IHR website and the various databases. I can honestly say that there was never a dull moment in the office, and the staff here are welcoming and passionate about their work.

Like many university students, I am used to spending hours in a library, researching and writing papers. A key factor in a successful research trip is being able to find what one needs in the database. At the IHR, I’ve done several projects involving database entry and updates which hopefully will make it easier to navigate and find the appropriate information. One of the most rewarding projects I worked on was streamlining the format for Reviews in History, which makes the footnote navigation much easier. I have also run around to various London libraries, collecting data and information from various books and articles to ensure our databases are accurate and up-to-date for information retrieval.

Another exciting project that I took part in was editing and uploading podcasts from our Anglo-American Conference. These podcasts are an exciting addition to the IHR website and will hopefully enhance research experiences. The Anglo-American Conference itself was a massive success, and I was honoured to take part in it.

Overall, this experience has greatly enhanced my knowledge of how a research institute operates and adapts to the various changes happening in this increasingly digital world. IHR Digital is working on several fascinating projects, and I am excited to see where it goes in the future.